Saturday, December 25, 2010

"A never one, a never two, a never a nechur sing, a never a nechur sing, a never a never a nechur sing..."

"A never one, a never two, a never a nechur sing, a never a nechur sing, a never a never a nechur sing..." ~ Neighborhood children having their carolling

Christmas is the most highlighted celebration of the year. Children and adult from all walks of life are always eager to celebrate this. Gifts, the noche buena and the family get-togethers. But it is the carolling that I'm excited to listen to. Just this morning, I was awaken by children singing at the top of their voices the jingles they just learned perhaps from hearing others. I can't help but laugh. Mind you, I'm still humming the lyrics in my head until now.

Carolling reminds of the childhood that was. How I ran together with some cousins and sometimes with classmates as we trod the streets bringing our homemade props and instruments. It was a nostalgic fun, not to mention the adrenaline-inducing dog chase and neighborhood feasts. My pocket was never empty during Christmas. Oh, by the way, extortion was acceptable at this time. My uncles and aunts' pockets were always ready in case the need arose. Singing a one-liner jingle equated a consideranle amount. Well...

Carolling reminds me of the start of Christmas. Like the cutting of the ribbon in an inauguration thingy. That sort. When the cold wind is already entwined with the tinkling and twanging of the instruments and the guttural sounds of the singers' voices, then I know that Christmas is just around the corner. It won't be long before you experience a throng of people attacking your vicinity. Nah, fret if you want but it's as if they're granted with some kind of immunity to just invade your peace and impale you with songs after songs after songs and conclude it with a "We Wish You a Merry Chritmas" antic. And you are rendered powerless.

Carolling reminds me of the jolly Christmas. The oppurtunity of giving. This is the only part, I guess, of this celebration that brings you a connection with other people aside from your family circles. It reminds me that this certain neighbor of ours actually exists. The baritone of the oppurtunist. But then again tis the season of giving, so let it be. I'm not the Grinch nor Mr. Scrooge but sometimes people are just plainly making this season a big business. Carolling's a business.

Anyway, Christmas precedes all that is human. This is suppose to be the case. Christ is the true message of this celebration which I hope resides in every heart of the people that walks this planet. Although Christmas is a time of giving but let us not digress from its true meaning. Merry Christmas to all. Someone's singing again. "A never one, a never two, a never a nechur sing, a never a nechur sing, a never a never a nechur sing..."

No comments: